Re: Copy and paste in Terminal

  On 10/15/2010 07:05 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Okay, I can now say I really don't like using the middle wheel. It
>>> requires me to take my hands off the keyboard twice. I'd really like
>>> to be able to highlight the the mouse, and paste with a keyboard
>>> combination.
>>>
>> You seem to be mixing up the two methods of copying. You highlight with
>> the left mouse button and copy with the middle mouse button. NO keyboard
>> is involved,
> No, I understand it would have to involve using the two separate
> methods to do this. It just doesn't seem as natural or easy of a
> process to have to make sure the cursor is positioned exactly where
> the text should be pasted, rather than being able to copy the text,
> navigate the cursor to where I want the text (while using vi, for
> example), then paste (using shift-insert, for example).
>
> Hopefully you don't think I'm being a pain in the ass or pedantic.
>
> I think I became so used to using putty in Windows to a Linux box for
> so long, that I guess I forgot how it was I used to do it in Linux.
Actually, when you learned how to use windows, this was
all new to you. So you learned it and got used to it, and
now you do not want to give it up, or acclimate yourself
to using a whole new system and different ways of doing
things. You call that a PITA :) :)
Learn new trix while your mind is still limber :) before you
get so crystallized set in your ways, that you cannot possibly
learn new ways of doing things. My $.02's worth of advice.
>> And if you have a mouse with a wheel, because you want a mousewheel,
>> then you could use the left&  right buttons pressed together to act as
>> the middle button.
> Ah yes, forgot totally about that one. I'm having problems with the
> scroll wheel pasting without scrolling at the same time, but I'm not
> sure another mouse would fix this. How am I to know if the next one
> will have the same problem?
You can enable the emulation of the middle button
in xorg.conf, and paste by pressing left and right
buttons together. This way, there will be no scrolling.
HOWEVER: this will not work within the context of
every application. I just tried it in gnome-terminal.
Pressing the left and right together does not paste,
but opens a new terminal. I tried several times
to press them as simultaneously as humanly possible.
I kept getting a new terminal window.
> I also recall the scroll wheel actually scrolling through the screen
> history, not through the command history. Any idea why that might have
> happened? In other words, it provides the same functionality as an up
> arrow.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
It depends on where you positioned the cursor when you scrolled.
If the cursor is on the bar where your window icons are, then it will
scroll up and down the windows you have opened.

If you want the scroll wheel to scroll through command history in
a terminal window, you will need to somehow convince gnome-terminal
not to use the codes of the scroll wheel to scroll up and down the
saved lines buffer (both input and output lines) of gnome-terminal.
Also, you need to tell the shell what to use to scroll through command
history. I have not figured out how to do that (yet). Man page for bash
make no mention of how to associate the scroll wheel with scrolling
through command history.

Cheers,

JD