Re: [OT] To people with VoIP SIP Clients (twinkle, etc), friendly-scanner DOS attack

On 10/14/2010 09:29 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:

> This is off topic, but I thought I should tell people.
>
> This past weekend, I suffered a DOS attack launched against VOIP SIP
> Clients.  The attack came, at different times, from 3 separate IP addresses.

I don't see why you would want to attack a VoIP client. Maybe the dark
side knows something I don't. Recently I have seen an increase in brute
force register attacks from Chinese networks. But that was on Asterisk
servers. I had to block the following networks from which most attacks
originated:

60.0.0.0/255.248.0.0
60.8.0.0/255.254.0.0
60.10.0.0/255.255.0.0

Most other attacks came from the US, France and Brazil.

Installing fail2ban may help where a single IP tries to brute force
itself into a SIP server. But that does not apply to a VoIP client.

Would you mind sharing which networks your attacks came from?

Regards,
Patrick