Thunderbird/Lightning or pulse-audio bug?

I am having the following problem:

I have a number of Thunderbird/Lightning calendar events that have
reminders go off for me.  If I am not around when they go off, the very
quickly "hang" thunderbird.  The reminder often doesn't even come to the
front of the workspace.  Thunderbird become unusable.  It does not react
to anything, and the display never re-draws.  I can change to other
workspaces OK and work there, but thunderbird is completely hung.

If I then kill thunderbird and restart it, it hangs shortly after
restarting (usually after reading in the new email, and in the middle of
processing the calendar events, I have 4 separate calendar sources).

This time, if I look at "top", I can see that pulseaudio is chewing up
85->100% of my cpu.  Lucky for me, I have a dual core CPU, so I can now
kill -9 pulseaudio process, and then the reminder appears, I can dismiss
it, and things return to normal.

Before I kill and restart thunderbird, pulseaudio is *not* chewing up
CPU time.  Something else is hung.

Is this 1 problem?  2?  Or one dependent on the other?

Just wondering what to file the bug against....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx