Re: Broken mail readers (was Re: Properly wiping a hard drive ?)

  On 10/9/10 7:38 PM, JD wrote:
>    On 10/09/2010 07:24 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>>     On 10/9/10 10:07 AM, mike cloaked wrote:

>>> This discussion is moving somewhat off topic!
>> Mike:
>>
>> Should we start another thread talking about broken mail readers?
>>
>> I am one of the GUILTY parties and I explained that the problem in my
>> case is a hosed-up mail reader provided by Earthlink.  BTW, this is NOT
>> the first mailing list to complain about this problem with my mail reader.
>>
>> Guess it is time to 'ping' Earthlink again.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>
> Hi James,
> Does earthlink allow you to use your own mail client
> like thunderbird, or some other gui client?
It does, but I cannot connect my work mail system to Earthlink and
sometimes I see something that I feel needs to be responded to right away.

> I know yahoo does not allow that on free accounts;
> i.e. they do not provide pop or imap server for your
> free account.
> But google does. So, why not get a free google account
> and use thunderbird for reading and sending email?
I have been considering getting a GMail account for some time now.  Does
their web client provide for proper threading of messages?

> Spare yourself the stress of fighting a battle with earthlink.
I've had an Earthlink account for a LONG time and don't want to mess
with moving stuff to it.  However, if it fixes the problems and does not
become a spam magnet (you should see the jump in spam over the last few
weeks) then I may consider moving some of my mail to them.  I'll have to
check if my employer is blocking them as well.

James McKenzie