Re: password change does not work: LDAP, sssd, nss or pam error?

On 10/09/2010 12:53 AM, Volker Potworowski wrote:

> access to *
>          by dn.exact="cn=root,dc=teraphim,dc=de" read
>          by * none
> access to attrs=userPassword
>          by dn.base="cn=Manager,dc=teraphim,dc=de" write
>          by anonymous auth
>          by self write
>          by * none
> access to attrs=shadowLastChange
>          by self write
>          by * read
> access to *
>          by self write
>          by * read

I should preface my response with: I run 389 DS.  I understand OpenLDAP
reasonably well, but I prefer not to use it.  So...

That's weird.  I'd expect the first rule to disallow virtually all
access...  However, the most important thing is this:

NEVER ALLOW "access to * by self write".  NEVER!

If you allow DNs to write to their own attributes, your users can change
their uidNumber to 0 and become root.

The simplest advisable set of ACLs is probably:

access to attrs=userpassword
   by anonymous auth
   by self write
   by * none

access to *
   by * read
   by anonymous auth

However, even that is unsuitable if you are going to run Samba on LDAP.
  The SMB password hashes aren't plain-text, but they ARE plain-text
equivalents!  If I can read your SMB password hash, I can log in to your
account on Samba and any other Windows domain member.

Try starting with:

access to attrs=userpassword
   by anonymous auth
   by self write
   by * none

access to
attrs=objectclass,entry,cn,co,dc,displayName,givenName,gn,initials,l,mail,o,ou,physicalDeliveryOfficeName,postalCode,sn,st,street,streetAddress,telephoneNumber,title,uid,userPassword,uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell,homeDirectory,shadowMin,shadowMax,shadowLastChange,shadowWarning,memberUid
         by * read