Re: rsync or dd to clone a hard drive?

Hi all.

--- On Wed, 10/6/10, Maxime Alarie <malarie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know rsync will resync where it left off if I encounter a
> problem, what about dd?  Do I  absolutely have to creat an image before > cloning?
> Ex: dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.img   or I can use dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb?

If the target disk is the same size as the source, use
"dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb", with device names changed as appropriate.

If they aren't the same size, and the source disk is partitioned, you
might want to create partitions of the appropriate size on the target
disk, and the use dd against the partitions, i.e.,
"dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1", for each partition.

Another option is to take the target disk, parition it if/as desired,
do any LVM set-up desired, newfs and mount the partition/volume, and then
copy from the file-system level with something like
"tar -cf - /source | (cd /target;tar -xpvf - )"

If the file systems don't have a lot of data in them, moving via tar can
be faster.  On the other hand, if the disk has multiple partitions with
multiple operating systems on them, dd'ing the disk may be a lot easier.