Re: wrong "audio" card found?

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I've got what linux thinks are 3 audio devices.
> The built in motherboard, the pci card I added to get
> optical output, and a USB microphone in my webcam.
>
> I had to add this /etc/modprobe.d/usbmic.conf file
> to get everything assigned to consistent index
> numbers no matter what order the devices get
> enumerated:

The following question is not directly relevant to my cause.
I'm trying to make speakers work.
How did you discover what you needed?

For me a likely suspect seems to be /etc/modprobe.d/also.conf ,
but I can't tell what it's pointing at:
# ALSA Sound Support
#
# We want to ensure that snd-seq is always loaded for those who want to
# use
# the sequencer interface, but we can't do this automatically through
# udev
# at the moment...so we have this rule (just for the moment).
#
# Remove the following line if you don't want the sequencer.

install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm &&
/sbin/modprobe snd-seq

In case it helps, here is the result of lsmod
Module Size Used by
usblp                   8702  0
tcp_lp                  1739  0
fuse                   47907  2
sunrpc                163601  1
p4_clockmod             3011  1
ip6t_REJECT             3310  2
nf_conntrack_ipv6      14223  2
ip6table_filter         1199  1
ip6_tables              9774  1 ip6table_filter
ipv6                  221726  28 ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
uinput                  5287  0
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2039  1
snd_intel8x0           23080  2
snd_ac97_codec         89423  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_hda_intel          19995  0
ac97_bus                 906  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_hda_codec          70968  2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               4860  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                42775  0
snd_seq_device          5035  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                62185  4
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
ppdev                   6722  0
parport_pc             17645  0
parport                25805  2 ppdev,parport_pc
snd_timer              15391  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    46591  13
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
e100                   24989  0
mii                     3514  1 e100
iTCO_wdt                8940  0
iTCO_vendor_support     2027  1 iTCO_wdt
intel_rng               2228  0
soundcore               4934  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          6097  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
i2c_i801                8410  0
microcode              10249  0
radeon                665912  2
ttm                    44703  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         21722  1 radeon
usb_storage            35004  0
drm                   139268  5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            4117  1 radeon
i2c_core               20553  5
i2c_i801,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit

> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> options and-card-0 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-ca0106
> options snd-ca0106 index=1
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=2
> options and-card-2 index=2
>
> With the pulseaudio sound dialog there is also
> a hardware tab and you can select devices and
> mark them not to be used by pulse (which I do
> with the optical output card since I want to
> dedicate it to alsa output from mplayer).

Is that just a gnome thing?
I'm running KDE.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx