Re: Fedora 12, 13 /KDE freezing Desktop

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:08:28 -0400
Jim <binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have 4 different Fedora boxes at different locations with KDE
> Desktops Freezing Applications or clicking on mouse for intervals of
> 10-15 seconds at a time. Nothing shows up in System Monitor to
> indicate why.
>
> Anyone have these problems ?

I run Gnome, but I used to see similar behavior in the GUI, though the
delays were somewhat less, more like 5 to 10 seconds.  I started
running top, and then iotop, and found that it was always updatedb or
one of those background jobs.  The trouble was they weren't background
because they were run by root, and they hogged resources.

I set flags in the cron job that told it to only run when there was
nothing else requiring the resource and that fixed it.  Perhaps you
have the same issue?

These are the relevant lines from the mlocate.cron job
in /etc/cron.daily.  I can't remember what was originally there, that
was a long time ago.  There are man pages for both renice and ionice.

renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
ionice -c3 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1

Do this for all io and cpu hogs that don't need high priority.