Re: AVI and gxine

On 10/08/2010 12:01 PM, JD wrote:

>>> I used to download the necessary codecs directly from  http://xinehq.de
>>> but that site seems to be dead. I cannot get any response from it.
>>> xinehq.com is some other advertising web site.
>>> Then there is a sourceforge site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xine
>>> but it has no links to download codecs.
>>>
>>> I wonder if xine development/support has reached an EOL ?
>>> Will it re-incarnate soon at a dedicated site?
>> Try http://www.xine-project.org/
> Aha! Thanx!
>
> Getting back to the OP's original problem of not being able to play an
> avi file, I just played an vi file with gxine with no problems.
> But then I am not sure what format of video was inside the avi file,
> since avi can be a container of different formats.
> My only familiarity is that most of the avi files I played contained
> mpeg4 format videos.
> So, I wanted to say to Oliver these are the *xine* packages I have
> installed on my system:
> gxine.i686                        0.5.905-3.fc13       @fedora
> xine-lib.i686                     1.1.18.1-1.fc13
> @anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
> xine-lib-devel.i686               1.1.18.1-1.fc13      @fedora
> xine-lib-extras.i686              1.1.18.1-1.fc13      @fedora
> xine-lib-extras-freeworld.i686    1.1.18.1-1.fc13      @rpmfusion-free
> xine-plugin.i686                  1.0.2-3.fc12         @fedora/12
> xine-ui.i686                      0.99.6-4.fc13        @updates
> xine-ui-skins                     0.99.6-4.fc13        @updates
>
> xine also depends on many codec libraries in order to play all
> the various formats. MS formats are proprietary, and so require
> dll's.
> One place to get them from is
> ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/olea.org/paquetes-rpm/win32-codecs-1.8-1.i386.rpm

as far as I am aware (I use xine extensively) xine does NOT use the above
mentioned codecs. Perhaps you are thinking of mplayer, which does. Xine has
native codec players, available as the package xine-lib-extras-freeworld, which
is available at rpmfusion.org

note that if you are playing dvd's, you will likely also need the libdvdcss
package to deal with region locked dvd's (not necessary for files extracted, or
encoded from the dvd).

	http://rpmfusion.org/FAQ#head-ad193f146afb4c556137f9009c5bfaabba21d74c

All the best,

- -Greg

> Unfortunately, I do not know if any of the fedora repos package them.

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler@xxxxxxxxxx    |