Re: Attribute copying problem with "useradd"

Once upon a time, Chris Tyler <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> One of my students showed up with an intriguing issue yesterday. They
> added a /home filesystem to their F13 installation, and now "useradd"
> fails to completely copy /etc/skel for new users -- it stops copying
> with an error on setting attributes on ~/.gnome2

They probably didn't set the mount options after creating the
filesystem.  These can't be set with mkfs, only with tune2fs.  The
standard options can be set with (on an unmounted FS on /dev/foo):

# tune2fs -o user_xattr,acl /dev/foo

"user_xattr" is required to have extended attributes set.

Also, the default for Fedora is to set the fsck times to zero as well;
you can do that as well with:

# tune2fs -o user_xattr,acl -c 0 -i 0 /dev/foo

However, it would be good to file this as a bug against shadow-utils as
well; it should handle filesystems that don't support extended
attributes.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>