Re: Hardware play-through?

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/03/2010 10:18 PM, Samuel Kidman wrote:
> Hello All
>
> My current audio set up is like this:
>
> Turntable --> Phono Input | Amp |Tape/Ext Output ---> Front Mic Input
> | Computer.
>
> I want to complete the chain like so:
>
> Turntable --> Phono Input | Amp |Tape/Ext Output ---> Front Mic Input
> | Computer | Headphones plug ---> Headphones
>
> Anyone know how to configure this in FC13? I opened up alsamixer and
> turned up the volume on all my inputs (Mic 1, Mic 2, Line- another
> issue here is I only have 2 plugs on my computer but it's seeing three
> inputs) in the playback section but still can't here anything. I can
> see signal coming in through my computer though, in Sound Preferences
> I can set my Input to Microphone 2 and see the signal. I can also
> record it in audacity and play it back and here it normally (apart
> from the right channel is missing but I think that's a physical layer
> issue)

If you can record it in audacity and play it back, but you
cannot hear it directly in the speakers or headphones, it
means you need to configure the Sound Preferences:
RightClick on speaker  icon -> Sound Preferences -> Hardware
Be sure you have selected the correct output hardware.

Only one option there:

Internal Audio
1 Output / 1 Input
Analogue Stero Duplex

Then in Profile: I've got:

Off
Analog Stereo Input
Analog Stereo Output
Analog Stereo Duplex (selected)

Tried changing through all of these, the only that made a difference was "off"  and "Input" which stopped all sound playback.

On the same screen, click on Test Speakers
a new screen will pop up to test left/right speakers. If no sound,

This works fine- i can hear the woman's voice saying "left speaker" "right speaker"

it means you selected the wrong profile.
That can also be indicated when you
RightClick on speaker  icon -> Sound Preferences -> Output
It will likely show Dummy output.

I only have one option and it's "Internal Audio Analog Stereo".

Under that I have Balance, and then Connector which is currently set to Analog Speakers. I changed through all the options (Analog Headphones and Analog Output) but none of them make any difference.

Any next steps?