wrong "audio" card found?

After a recent reboot, I no longer have sound,
either with mplayer or with firefox.

mplayer "works" with -nosound .
I have a Radeon 3600 series video card.
I have AC97 sound that I think is built into the motherboard
(B865GBFL) and to which my speakers are attached.
Apparently the Radeon does audio.
lspci lists it twice, once for video and once for audio.
lspci also list AC97.
My suspicion is that mplayer and firefox are trying to use the Radeon..

How do I tell what they are trying to use?
How do I tell them to use AC97?

I hate it when things just don't work.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx