Re: Video in a small window -

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On 25/09/10 23:35, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>
>>>       This computer runs F-13 and XFCE.
>>>
>>>       I have two "IP cameras" that provide video streams that I would like
>>>       to make available in one corner of this wide screen monitor. I can
>>>       view both cameras using either Firefox or VLC, I normally just click
>>>       on an icon that brings up the desired camera in VLC but it would be
>>>       convenient if I could elect to put a small image in one corner and
>>>       keep it there when required, as when waiting for someone to come in
>>>       the driveway, e.g.
>>>
>>>       Can anyone suggest a means of doing that?
>>>
>> I just drop the vlc to 1/4 size with the drop down menu (there's a shortcut,
>> don't remember it offhand) and then drag and drop the window. I'm probably
>> missing something, that's the way I watch TV (HDhomerun capture).
>>

>        Why didn't I think of that earlier? It's not precisely what I
>        would like but it definitely works! It requires more
>        manipulation than simply clicking on an icon but that's no
>        different than a lot of stuff I do ...
>
>        It reproduces the entire VLC window with all the trimmings, all
>        I actually need is the video image, and oddly I can't reduce the
>        window width smaller than a certain size, while vertically it
>        can be closed down to nothing? It can be set as "always on top."
>        Clicking on "full-screen" immediately switches to a 23" wide
>        display of the video image only with a small tool bar at the
>        bottom, a usable feature certainly.
>
>        I had hoped to make it use a little less screen area than it
>        does but this is certainly one solution to my problem.
>
>        Thanks.
>
>        Bob

Why don't you just use mplayer? Something like

mplayer -vf scale=64:48 -ontop yourvideostream

or similar. You can put it whereever you want, the only thing that
gets displayed is the video window (no overhead with controls etc.),
you can scale it to any width:height you wish, toogle the fullscreen
just by hitting f on the keyboard, and so on.

In general mplayer is the most powerful video player when it comes to
custom stuff...

:-)
Marko