Re: SELinux

Tim:
>> Really?  I haven't found it to get in the way of ordinary user
>> activities, it's rare to see any alert.

Ralf Corsepius:
> Single user desktop system, without special configuration, I suppose?

No.  I configure things, install things, try things out, I even run web
servers, and mail servers, without coming a cropper of SELinux.

And ordinary users who just switch on, log in, browse, email, word
process, the usual stuff that people who use a computer, rather than
play and fiddle around with, shouldn't even be aware that it's there.

Quite some time ago, probably a year or so, I can remember occasionally
some update would upset the apple cart, and something would stop working
properly.  But then the next update would fix it.  That's not really
much different from any other bug, whether it be a faulty program
crashing all by itself, or something getting whacked by SELinux for
getting naughty.  They crop up from time to time, and most users can't
resolve any of them by themselves (i.e. actually repair the bug).  They
resolve them by updating to repaired packages.

I do see occasional SELinux alerts for things in the background, but
they haven't stopped me using the computer, nor even noticeably stopped
something else from working.  The only ones logged on this laptop are to
do with gconf trying to read some configuration files.  And the only
gconf issue I know of on this laptop is that I can't make the screen
saver lock by hitting CTRL+ALT+L.  Nothing happens, but that's been an
on-again/off-again bug with Linux and my computers over several years.
It works on one release, it does nothing on another, it works but stops
working if I customise some aspects of gconf...

The last thing I can recall badly breaking, until the next update, was
Google Earth.  Back in the Fedora 9 vintage.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.