Re: network mgr applet - cannot disable wireless

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 07:54 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >    Often when I do backups on laptop, I'll plug in wired ethernet - NM
> > happily switches the connection from wireless to wired -
> >
> >  however it always leaves the wireless on as well
> >      + correct if its a different subnet than wired
> >      + arguably wrong if its the same subnet - probably a bug ? - or at
> > least it should offer to shutoff wireless when the 2 subnets are the same.
> >
> >       Since the route via wireless is active, the backup could/does use
> > wireless instead of wired. So I usually right click the nm applet and
> > disable wireless.
> >
> >       Today - that option along with the disable netowrking option are
> > grayed out and I can not uncheck the 'emable wireless/networking radio
> > buttons.
> >

> >    	This is f13 - fully updated (+ some testing and 2.6.32.6-47 kernel
> > from koji). NetworkManager is 8.1.4.git20100817.
> >

> >        Anyway know what causes this or suggestions on how to deal with it ?
>
> I am in the same boat and it is darn annoying.  I'm thinking that I may
> have to go to a routed wireless net instead of bridged so that I can
> differentiate between the two links at the routing level and add a bit
> of routing cost to the wireless link.
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)
There are lot's of things that don't work in NM-APPLET,  I can't create
a vpnc connection, nor can I get my wireless card to stay in managed
mode from reboot to reboot.  I have to physically turn off the wireless
card on my D630 to keep from attaching to co-workers web enabled phones
ad-hoc at the office.