Re: SELinux

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Erik P. Olsen <epodata@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29/08/10 18:42, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Patrick Dupre wrote:

>>> Of course, I NEED Math:GSL !!!!
>>
>> OK, so... what's your point?  Your original post seemed to be blaming
>> selinux here, for something that's not testable (ie, supporting/testing
>> something not included in fedora).
>
> I would advise Patrick to disable Selinux. I've made that decision long ago
> because it gives me more problems when enabled that I can possibly solve. IMHO
> the user interface is so bad that selinux is unuseable for an ordinary enduser.

With many selinux issues with a bit of effort and help from a few
experts the issues can often be resolved - I have been running all my
systems with selinux enforcing since F9 - and the additional
protection is worth it.  There are a few things from outside Fedora
(like Crossover) that will only work in f13 with one selinux setting
downgrading security but other than that I have no problem with any of
the systems. The other thing that is worthwhile it actually reading
the selinux guide and understanding how it ticks. That way you can
often work around problems yourself with a bit of probing of the files
and processes involved in an AVC denial.

There are some real experts around on this list and they are often
ready to make suggestions from their significant knowledge base that
is worthwhile listening to and by responding and working with them
then more often than not the issues can be resolved.
--
mike c