Re: Slow network with F13 [SOLVED]

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Roberto Ragusa wrote:

>>> Maybe you are using compression? Compression is a disadvantage when
>>> the network is fast (gigabit); you just spend CPU time.
>>>
>>> Then there is encryption. That can't be turned off. I would love
>>> an option --no-crypto for scp or rsync+ssh on local networks, but
>>> there is none: you are forced to turn to rcp or rsh or nc tricks.
>>>
>> There actually is a patch to provide encryption "none" to improve speed and
>> reduce CPU for trusted connections.
>>
>> HINT: sure would be a nice addition to Fedora FC14!!
>>
>> It's really desirable for doing scp or ssh to/from a VM from the host. Why spend
>> CPU encrypting a connection which is as trusted as possible? Note that for just
>> file transfer netcat can be useful if you have the firewall set to allow it.
>
> I didn't know about this patch. There is also a bug on Ubuntu (54180), but it
> looks like nothing has moved.
>
> So let's hope we will have it someday.
>
> BTW, about compression, we just have gzip. Where is LZMA? It would be useful
> on slow links (e.g., all ADSL uplinks) :-)
>
> Maybe extra ciphers and compressions could be handled as plugins.

Well good idea, but the patch I mentioned is out for inclusion now, and so
represents a minimal effort. I agree that plug-ins would be nice, but they must
not replace existing code or compression, for security reasons. If a plugin
could be compromised... better to compile stuff in, what's there is adequate,
the "none" crypto is a special case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>