Re: unbale accesses fedora

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM, rajib samal <rajibsamal@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I install fedora 13 then i install ubuntu 9.04 in a separate partition
> but my problem is "I cant open fedora"

HI Rajib,

Most likely, when you installed Ubuntu it overwrote the partition
which holds your Fedora kernel and boot loader configuration (mounted
to /boot).

As others have mentioned, it's hard to tell you exactly however,
without getting more details.

Honestly, the easiest way to fix it, is probably to re-install Fedora
- but that will break Ubuntu without some manual trickery. Dual
booting Linux distros can be tricky, but not impossible.

To fix this you would need to do something like:
* In Ubuntu, activate the Fedora LVM partition (sudo vgscan ; sudo vgchange -ay)
* Mount the fedora partition
* Mount bind /proc, /dev and /sys to the Fedora mount point
* Copy your /etc/resolv.conf to Fedora mount point
* Change root (chroot) into the Fedora mount point
* Tell yum to re-install the kernel
* Tell dracut to re-build your initramfs
* Exit chroot
* Copy the kernel and initramfs to Ubuntu's /boot partition
* Edit Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.conf and add Fedora, telling it to
load Fedora's kernel and initramfs from Ubuntu's /boot partition, but
set the root to the Fedora LVM
* Umount proc, sys, dev, and Fedora mount points.
* Reboot and select Fedora from the grub menu at boot

As you can see, it's pretty tricky if you don't know what you're doing :-)

In the future, if you want to dualboot Linux distros you need to have
separate /boot partitions for them. You can only boot one system's
GRUB config, so it will have to either find and add the other distro
(some can do this), or you let the other update its GRUB config and
manually copy it and paste it into the other.

Cheers,
Chris