Re: Problem when upgrading from F12 to F13

Frode wrote:
> Jim skrev:

>>> There's a much newer db4 in Fedora 13 Updates, which should replace your
>>> old one from F12:
>>>
>>> db4.i686                          4.8.30-1.fc13                         @updates
>>> db4.x86_64                        4.8.30-1.fc13                         @updates

>>> What do you get for "yum list nautilus-sendto"?
>>> There's a newer on in Fedora 13 Updates:
>>>
>>> nautilus-sendto.x86_64                   2.28.4-3.fc13                   updates

>>> Verify your repository configuration and run some yum (or repoquery)
>>> queries to show which package versions are available.
>> Here is the sequence you do the upgrade.
>>

>> 1.  Install the two Fedora-release-fc13 rpm's
>>
>> 2.  do "yum clean all"
>>
>> 3.  do  "yum upgrade"
>>
>> 4.  Reboot
>>
>> 5.  and "yum remove kernel-fc12"
>>

> Just curious: If I understand correctly, you don't use preupgrade. What
> are the pros/cons of the two methods?
>
> I have previously only used fresh installs, but maybe upgrading could be
> worth a try afterall?

There are two issues, one being to upgrade or full install, and one being if you
upgrade to do it using the network (preinstall) or the "upgrade existing OS"
option of an install DVD.

I generally reinstall, but having done 4-5 upgrades in the last few days, using
install DVD media, and if you are willing to accept that the upgrade will
probably not be as clean as an install in terms of filesystem setup or leaving a
few configs in an old setting, then the benefit is that it will be faster to
upgrade and you will preserve your custom settings *in most cases*.

The more revisions between the initial and current revision the higher chance of
problems, some functional, and some just things like using old filesystem types
or config files.

People go either way, depending on which issues they most want to avoid. Have
good backups of critical stuff, whichever way you go.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>