Re: GDM and XDMCP

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:11:19 +0000 (UTC)
JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve Blackwell <zephod <at> cfl.rr.com> writes:

> > "GDM 2.20 and earlier supported the ability to...and the ability to
> > run the XDMCP chooser from the login screen. These features were
> > not added back during the 2.22 rewrite."
> >
> > So there is no XDMCP chooser on the GDM login screen (which explains
> > why I couldn't find it) but the way this is written implies that
> > you can run the XDMCP chooser from somewhere else. Perhaps from a
> > terminal window? Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve
> >
> Hi,
> an overview/solutions to this problem:
> http://www.peppertop.com/blog/?p=690
> PLease read all 4 parts.
> JB

Hey JB!

Thanks for the link to that blog. Very informative.
Using the xinit method from the second post, I was actually able to get
the login screen to the remote SuSE box and successfully login.
Unfortunately, after a couple of minutes the Xserver dies. It's
strange because it spits out:

  waiting for X server to begin accepting connections FreeType: couldn't
  find encoding 'iso8859-13' for '/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/luximr.ttf'

and then
  ..
  No protocol specified

repeatedly even though it appears to be working until eventually it
says

  giving up.
  xinit:  Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11):  unable to
  connect to X server

  waiting for X server to shut down

  xinit:  Server error.

I don't see anything unusual in the logs.

I'm going to try the xephyr method next as that is reported to be the
most stable.

Steve
--
Changing lives one card at a time