Re: General desktop questions

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apparently when I connected to the samba share through Nautilus it
> didn't make it persistent across a reboot. How can I configure
> Nautilus to mount the share permanently? It didn't seem to be an
> obvious option.

There's more than one answer, depending on exactly what you want.

As Chris indicated, you can tick "Create a bookmark" and give the
share a name and then it will mount on demand each time you go to the
menu "Places" and select it from the list. The mount will persist for
the remainder of that desktop session. I generally prefer this method,
as I take my machine with me and often don't have that remote machine
available.

Alternatively, you can set up the share through the /etc/fstab file to
mount each time on startup. I don't know if there's a way to do this
through the GNOME GUI interface, I usually just open a terminal and
edit the file. You'll need to switch to the root user or use sudo to
edit that file.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC