Re: Migrating data off a failing drive

Happy to report everything went well. This is what I did,

1. Boot and make sure the faulty disk is not mounted.
2. run the following,
    # ddrescue -b 500M -n /dev/sd[faulty] /dev/sd[new] rescue.log
    # ddrescue -dr3 /dev/sd[faulty] /dev/sd[new] rescue.log # 2-3 times

And now I have an exact copy of my LVM and everything is back up and
running as usual. :)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

On 22 August 2010 15:59, JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Some additional hints:
> - one more link to read
>  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
> - unmount source when doing dd-type operation
> - consider destination size when doing dd-type operation (it must be equal or
>  greater than source)
>  Note:
>  /* quote */
>  If the destination is larger than the source, the filesystem won't know this
>  and will function as if the lvol did not change size. To get the filesystem
>  to use the additional space, run resizing utility (e.g. gparted, resize2fs)
>  on the raw device file for the destination. Then you can mount the lvol.
>  /* end quote */
> - -v = verbose output; capture this output to a file with redirection (e.g.
>       'tee') while still seeing your primary output
> - dd_rescue with -r option
>  /* quote */
>  When running dd_rescue – don’t forget the “-r” option! (reverse copy)
>  What you can do is this – try it running dd_rescue the “normal” way and then
>  – when it finishes (or hangs, or whatever) and you have bad blocks, try
>  running the same command again with the “-r” option. It will take the same
>  drive, the same output file, the same bad-block file, etc – and do the whole
>  job again filling in the places where it was able to get good data.
>  /* end quote */
>
> JB
>

> --

Suvayu