Re: Random kernel update breakage

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:14:48 +0300
Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 22:29 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Every once in a while, something breaks when a kernel update gets
> > installed. It doesn't happen every time, I'd say that once in every
> > thirty or so kernel updates, grub fails to come up after a
> > subsequent reboot.
> >
> > This is just a minor annoyance -- I'd have to boot the install CD
> > in rescue mode, let it mount Fedora on /mnt/sysimage, chroot to it,
> > and execute /sbin/grub-install -- but I'm wondering if anyone else
> > is seeing this.
> >
> > This just happened again -- after installing 2.6.33.8-149.fc13,
> > rebooting my laptop only results in a black screen, with a BIOS
> > cursor uselessly blinking away in the top-left corner. Whip out the
> > rescue CD, and now a few minutes later I'm back in business.
> >
> > But then, I updated a different server to 2.6.33.8-149.fc13, and it
> > booted the new kernel just fine. Previously, this same server got
> > similarly de-grubbed by an earlier kernel update, but the laptop
> > had no issues being updated to the same kernel.

I've had this happen to me too. My theory has been that either it has
nothing to do with Fedora at all and it is a BIOS problem or that the
grub device.map file gets reversed somehow.

In either case, you would have to have 2 disks so
perhaps we can determine if anyone who has seen this problem only has
one disk which would dispel my theory.

Steve

--
Changing lives one card at a time