Re: grub menu is automatically skipped

On 08/22/2010 04:38 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I am glad you solved you problem but I am amazed that default worked.
> Hibernate saves the state of the system at the time you tell it to
> hibernate. When you return you load back the system to the  state you
> had before hibernation. Which means to me that if you hibernate while in
> Linux it should come back to Linux. And booting into Windows 7 should be
> impossible. Would someone who suggested the default solution explain why
> this works?
I think you are confusing suspend to RAM with hibernation. When you
have the system hibernating, it has actually shut down. When you
boot Linux again, it checks swap to see if you saved the system
state, and reloads it if you did. But Grub and Windows do not test
this, so if you chose to load Windows, Grub happily does it. But it
probably is not a good idea.

You can also chose to ignore the hibernating image and do a normal
reboot. I don't remember what you have to pass the kernel to have it
skip the check...

Mikkel