Re: Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 16:05 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> It would be nice if we could have a yum option which says
> skip-needs-reboot. Then we could only get updates that need reboot
> when we wanted those while updating the others more regularly. Perhaps
> that is what your python script does.

Well it's not my script, but what it does do is more useful than that as
it will tell you (implicitly) if you just need to restart your login
session or some app that happens to be running. You do need to interpret
its output of course (just a list of processes).

> This would be very needed if Fedora went for a Rolling Release
> version/option which I personally think is a good idea. Of course,
> others may disagree which is why it could be an option.

Rolling releases have been discussed here (check the archives) and don't
seem to have a lot of support.

poc