Re: Migrating data off a failing drive

Hi Suomi and JB,

On Saturday 21 August 2010 10:37 PM, fedora wrote:
> Hi Suvayu
> I have made bad experiences with LVM toghether with ext4 and fedora 13.
> I got hundreds of

I have been using LVM for some time now. And my experience has been
quite pleasant. I think I'll stick to it for a while more before I give
up. :)

On Sunday 22 August 2010 02:08 AM, JB wrote:
> Hi,
> just some hints.
>
> $ yum info*dd*rescue*

Thank you very much both of you. I considered all this, and read a bit
about ddrescue, dd_rescue and dd_rhelp. It seems to me using either of
these would be the least hassle free. I wouldn't need to create the LVM
on my new physical drive. That means no VG name changes and I can just
reboot to my F13 partition and it should just work (?). Also my data is
not mission critical. :)

I am planning to do the following.
1. Boot into my old perfectly working F11 partition
2. Then do one of the following:

# dd_rescue -b 1G -l logfile -o badblocklog /dev/sd[faulty] /dev/sd[new]

or,

# dd_rhelp /dev/sd[faulty] /dev/sd[new] info

or as recommended on the dd_rhelp homepage use "GNU ddrescue",

# ddrescue -n /dev/sd[faulty] /dev/sd[new]

Any suggestions on which of these would be recommended?

> http://grover.open2space.com/node/17
>
> JB

Thank you for this link JB. :)

--