Re: F13: services marked as disabled, are shown to be running.

On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 14:06 -0700, JD wrote:
> After bootup, (Run Level 5), I ran
> System->Administration->Services
>
> I checked each service that was marked red (disabled).
> For a few of these disabled services,  status was shown to be running.
> These services were:
>

> akmods
> capi
> hsqldb
> isdn
> jetty
> lm_sensors
> racoon
> sandbox
> vmware
> zvbid
>
> So, how would I prevent them from being started when
> they are already marked as disabled.
>
> Also, several services which are enabled, the status was shown
> to be stopped. So, I had to start them.
> One of them was hal daemon. Others that I recall were:
> smbd, nmbd, ntpd, ...etc.
> I regret not saving their names on file to mention all of them.
>
> Can anyone else confirm this when running Sysytem->Administration->Services?

JD,

It's possible that system-config-services is not working correctly. As
an alternative, use chkconfig to look at the default startup status for
each of those services:
# chkconfig --list | grep akmods
akmods          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
If you really want to disable akmods at startup:
# chkconfig akmods off
# service akmods stop
Repeat for the other services.

HTH