Re: Migrating data off a failing drive

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Recently one of my hard drives developed bad sectors. I have asked for
> RMA and the manufacturer has shipped the new drive. I am expecting
> delivery this Monday.
>
> Now my question is, what would be the best way to migrate the data to
> the new drive? My confusion is at 2 steps:
>
> 1) I have an LVM spanning the entire physical volume, created while
>     installing Fedora from the Live CD. So what are the proper sequence
>     of steps to create a new LVM on a new drive? Is the following
>     correct:
>     1. create a physical volume with pvcreate
>     2. create an LVM on that physical volume with lvcreate
>
> 2) After I have created the new LVM, do I just simply mount it and
>     copy the data off my faulty partition with something like rsync?
>     (my backups are couple of months old :( , so would prefer to keep the
>     latest data). I am asking as I am not sure how the bad sectors
>     might affect the copied data and the new drive.
>
> Thanks for any inputs.

Hi,
just some hints.

$ yum info *dd*rescue*

dd copies the disk sector by sector.

You can copy a LVM filesystem with dd, you just use /dev/groupname/volname
instead of /dev/hdxN.

/* quote */
dd can copy a drive containing LVM groups, as well as individual volumes, I once
did this with a failing drive, dding it to an identical (except it wasn't
failing) drive. However, this makes getting the data off harder, and of course
one error on the drive causes the whole thing to fail. Separate backups of each
filesystem would seem a more practical method.
If you are going to do a complete drive mirror like this, set a large value for
bs with dd, otherwise your new drive will have died of old age before the copy
completes. The default blocksize for dd is 512 bytes and takes forever. I think
I used 40960 (ten filesystem blocks) when I did this.
/* end quote */

http://grover.open2space.com/node/17

JB