Re: Error reading pen drive

On 08/18/2010 08:57 AM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:

> Disk /dev/sdb: 33.5 GB, 33554432000 bytes
> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 32000 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>
> I don't but I guess the drive is having a small sector corrupted
> inside it as the icon is getting displayed but other actions have been
> restricted unknowingly!
Of hand, it looks like you did something like "mke2fs /dev/sdb".
While this is valid, it creates a drive without a partition table.
This causes problems for the auto-mount software.

While you could manually mount a drive set up this way, you are
better using parted to create a partition table, a partition that
spans the entire drive, and formatting it. You will probably find
that one of the GUIs for parted is easier to use. You may have
gparted or qtparted installed.

Mikkel