Re: Sendmail on a LAN

 On 08/18/2010 06:28 PM, Tim wrote:
> Are you aware that if your SMTP server is on an IP in the range of
> addresses your ISP doles out to its private customers, you may be on a
> blacklist of IPs to ignore.  It's a common practice for many other mail
> servers, or their incoming mail filters, to only accept mail sent from
> ISP mail servers, and other large networks.

I believe you are speaking of RBL services such as spamhaus.org.  Yes,
indeed they try to keep a list of IP address ranges that are used by
ISP's to be dynamically allocated.  And, indeed there can be problems
when the list they keep doesn't match with reality.  In the case of
"good" RBL services like spamhaus they will fix the issue quickly with
the proper evidence that the IP in question really isn't allocated
dynamically.

--
The rule on staying alive as a forecaster is to give 'em a number or
give 'em a date, but never give 'em both at once. -- Jane Bryant Quinn