Introduction

Hi,

I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat, a small village in South France.
I'm 100% GNU/Linux since Slackware 7.1 (around 2001). I've been using
Slackware and Debian mostly for a few years, then I started working for the
local town hall and a dozen public libraries around here, to migrate everyone
from Windows (or nothing) to Linux and free software (nice job, huh?). That
was back in 2006, and at the time, I chose CentOS for the job, on both servers
and desktops.

Last year I created a small computer business, based solely on Linux and free
software, and aimed at SOHO users: http://www.microlinux.fr. Around the same
time, I published a book about Linux, focusing on command-line administration,
but also explaining all the necessary desktop details for "power users" coming
from the Windows world. The book has been (and still is) quite a success in
France, with several thousand copies sold. I put a freely available online
version on my site (check out the "Linux aux petits oignons" link).

Lately, I got a bit tired of my "good old workhore" CentOS, which feels to me
like a 4WD Lada, the sort the peasants around here are driving. Nearly
impossible to destroy, but then, sometimes you feel more like driving a
Maserati. (Myself I drive an old BMW 1000cc motorbike, but every now and then,
I enjoy a ride on a buddy's Yamaha R1.) So I went and wiped CentOS 5.5 (GNOME)
from my main PC and replaced all with a clean Fedora 13 (KDE) install.

So far, I really like it. I'm simply astonished by the look and feel and
functionality of the KDE desktop (after a false start with KDE4.0 when it came
out :oD). Looks like in the near future, I'll definitely migrate to Fedora,
only to keep CentOS on my servers. Looks like a perfect combination.

I did quite some RTFM (on howtoforge.com and similar sites) on how to fine-tune
Fedora, and I guess I'll be around here for all the stuff I can't figure out by
myself.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki