Re: Leaving firefox running remotely through a ssh connection

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 10:05, Ed Greshko wrote:

> I believe you are confusing VNC on Windows with VNC on Linux.  On
> Windows the answer is yes since there is a single video server
> and you are simply taking over.  However, with vncserver on Linux
> you are actually creating a separate Xvnc server with its own
> display.  It will not be visible on the "console" of the remote
> machine.

Thanks for the head's up.  I found that it can be done either/both
ways.  Right out of the box, using the FC13
tigervnc/tiger-vncserver apps it will operate just like the VNC on
Windows where both the local and remote sides can view and control
the desktop according to the System->Preferences-Remote Desktop
setup utility.  The commands I noted in my previous message will
give that mode of operation.

However, as another option, you can setup the /etc/init.d/vncserver
with the appropriate config in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
and /etc/xinetd.d and you can get the type of operation you
mentioned too where there's no interaction on the remote desktop at
all.

Like anything else we do with these boxes I guess there're 25 other
ways to do the same thing too.

--Mike