Re: Leaving firefox running remotely through a ssh connection

On 3 August 2010 17:11, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
>>> following command:
>>>
>>> firefox -no-remote&
>>>
>>> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
>>> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?
>>
>> you can do this:
>>
>> nohup firefox -no-remote &
>>
>> And it will remain running after you log out.
>
> Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
> application. Any ideas?

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to keep it running? I
can't see a possible use case since there is no way to connect to a
running session of firefox. In fact if you try to run firefox on the
same machine as the same user, it will complain that another session
is running and you need to close that.

If your intention is to keep a constantly running firefox session
which you want to connect to at some point in time in the future, then
I would suggest you run a VNC (or some other remote desktop protocol)
and start firefox from there. So something like this should work,

paul@remote-host $ vncserver :<display> -geometry <desired_resolution>

Then locally start a vnc client of some kind (vncviewer, tigervnc,
remmina, ... ) and connect to the remote machine and start firefox.
Now every time you connect with a vnc client you will have access to
the same firefox session.

> Paul

GL

--