Re: how not to initialize HD

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:29:22 -0400
"Darr" <darr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, 02 August, 2010 @12:46 zulu, Paul Cartwright scribed:
>
> > not a matter of getting RID of it, it's GONE, since I redid my
> > partitions.. reclaimed space :)
> > wonder what happens if I press that button NOW..."NO, DON'T DO IT
> > :-0)"
>
> If that's the drive that came in your Dell, no - you didn't get rid of it.
>
> MediaDirect 1 and 2 were installed in hidden partitions that partitioning
> utils simply cannot see.
>
> Depending on who made your drive, you might be able to recover the space
> (seagate=yes; WD=no).

I beg to differ on that.  My Dell Studio 1745 which came with the "hidden"
partition shows up clearly in Gparted (PartedMagic).  Found that out the hard
way when the windblows 7 blew up and the restore function failed.  Something
had creames that "hidden" partition.  Had to argue with Dell until they finally
sent me installation media as required by law.

There is no longer any "hidden" partition on my laptop which is running
openSUSE 11.3, Fedora 13, FreeBSD 8, and windblows 7 for my wife to use.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3 x86_64