Re: fedora power management not working in f13

On 29 July 2010 16:32, JB <jb.123abc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JB <jb.123abc <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > I have a duel boot laptop. if i boot it into f12, using kde,  and pull
>> > out the power cord, i get a popup message telling me i've done so and
>> > the battery monitor icon changes. If i boot into f13, also kde, i get
>> > no indication at all when i pull out the cable. The home directory is
>> > shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
>> >
>> > I think this was working for f13 too until the last time i applied
>> > updates, though it may just be that i didn't test it.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone suggest how I can debug it?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Chris
>> Hi,
>> I am on a Gnome desktop and so can not help you with KDE.
>> But I think you should try Gnome as well (they can co-exist).
>> You will get to know it (I am a convert from KDE myself) and at the same time
>> see if your power and battery work correctly.
>> Try it:
>> # [root <at> localhost jb]# yum grouplist |grep -i gnome
>> # yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>> JB
>>
> Hi,
> I have installed a fresh KDE desktop environment and without any changes in
> settings can confirm that power cord pull out and plug in change battery icon
> and display a popup message about the corresponding event.
> So it is about your machine and KDE.
>
> Look at Applications-Settings-System Settings-Advanced tab-Power Management .

Thanks for trying that. I'd already noticed that the laptop would not
do anything when the lid was closed (i've raised a kacpi bug for
this), so it's possible i mis-remembered seeing the power management
ever working

> I repeat my invitation to a Gnome desktop - you will be glad you did it :-) .

I'm going to try it, just to rule out the kde components. But i've
used gnome before and was forced to junk it for fvwm when it became
too bloated for my (old) laptop. i've never been tempted to try it
again :-)

Regards,

Chris