Re: how not to initialize HD

JB <jb.123abc <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > The above partition table looks completely OK, AFAIK. And I have never seen
> > Anaconda insisting on reinitializing the partition table except on a brand
> > new, unformatted drive.
> > Marko
> >
> Hi Marko,
> please read my new post before yours, under Tom.
> Is the fact that sda8 is inside (sorry !) but out of order in the Extended
> partition not a problem ?
> JB

Hi Tom and Marko,
basically, what I am proposing is to save and then delete sda8, delete sda7.
That would create one free space logical partition at the end, that I assume
would be alligned at 8095 to 12162, which is what Extended is at.
After that we would restore the in-order layout.

You see, we do not know exactly how the program logic reads a partition table,
logically by scanning all items in the table every time from the very beginning
and so discovering all out-of-order items (that's our case of table), or it
reads once from top to bottom until End allignment value and misses partitions
that are physically lower in the table. These are wonders that most programmers
know about ...
JB