Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 15:00:39 -0400,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Given the reality, that users bought computers which Linux supported
> only a few years ago, and in some cases paid extra to get computers
> which ran Linux, it really sends a message to have that hardware become
> unsupported two years later. Thanks guys. Hand MSFT a big bag of FUD
> about "will Linux even run on your computer by the time it's depreciated
> or paid for?" Sadly, for once it's true. :-(

Regressions suck. If avoiding them was my highest priority I wouldn't be
running Fedora. 3D using open source drivers has never really been good.
(And using proprietary drivers has always had its own kind of suck.)

More developers doing graphics driver work are neeeded. Despite that things
do seem to be improving in general. There is also a long way to go before all
of the features of modern chips are supported by the open source drivers and
usable by applications (e.g. better OpenGL support).

Other OS's have issues with supporting old hardware on newer versions of
the OS. Even where there is backward compatibility, there are limits to that
and venders don't have an interest in updating drivers for equipment they
no longer make. If you want to run newer software on old hardware, you'll
probably have more luck using open source.