Re: How can I make local dnsmasq play nicely with NetworkManager?

On 07/31/2010 09:52 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 08:50 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> I'm referring to a caching resolver running on the local machine, i.e.
>> 127.0.0.1, not a nameserver running somewhere else on a local network.
>
> If it were your DHCP server, then it could supply 127.0.0.1 as the DNS
> server address to that machine (I have done this before).  Though, since
> you say it's not, then it'd be a DHCP client overriding configuration
> that you'd apply to your computer.
>
>> When I'm connecting via the WiFi hotspot at some local business, the
>> DHCP server is not under my control.  NetworkManager invokes dhclient
>> with a custom config file that NetworkManager generates anew for
>> each invocation, and no customization of that configuration is
>> possible.
>
> I'm fairly sure that I read, somewhere on this list, that you could put
> client options into a file that NetworkManager would pay attention to.
> It wasn't the usual /etc/dhclient.conf that you'd use with the network
> service.
>
> And people have written about customising NetworkManager settings by
> right-clicking the NetworkManager icon, and editing connections (such as
> putting in their own DNS server address).  With reports from some that
> they were ignored, and others saying it worked.  Are you one of those
> that tried that?

Here's a link to my original message with all the details.  I'm not
going to repeat all that here.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-June/376635.html

The NetworkManager developers agree that there is currently no way to
configure NetworkManager and a localhost dnsmasq cache to work together,
and work is under way for support in the next NM release.  If you
believe they are wrong, I'm sure they would be delighted to hear how it
can be done so that this effort can be avoided.

                 Do NOT delete it.