Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 09:39 -0400, David wrote:
> I would think that qualifies as a driver problem.  :-)

I agree.

> But not a Windows driver problem. Why not? It is a HP problem. Their
> hardware and their driver(s). Windows had nothing to do with any of
> this. Microsoft gave plenty of time for hardware makers to produce new
> drivers for Vista. The hardware makers did not do it for older
> hardware.
> Why? Because they wanted you to buy new hardware. Microsoft, Vista,
> took
> the heat for them not providing the drivers.

Which is what I said. Note that you didn't ask about "problems caused by
MS" but about "Windows Driver Hell".

> Which is the whole point here. Fedora and Nvidia for example. The
> Nvidia
> driver(s) is/are supplied by Nvidia. Fedora does not, nor can they,
> provide these. Fedora provides a FOSS driver for this purpose. This
> 'Nvidia thing' is not Fedora's problem. Nor is it RPMfusion's problem.
> RPMfusion very nicely provides a module. But they don't have to do
> that.

To be clear: I'm not arguing with this position, which is perfectly
logical and which I agree with. I was merely responding to your request
for concrete examples of driver problems in Windows.

poc