Re: Blue screen of death

Hi Alex,

I talked to the plymouth maintainer and he said this is a known bug; I
don't know if the fix is in F13 yet but let me explain what's going on:

You've got two bugs. One is a kernel panic. The other is that when the
kernel is panicking, rather than showing useful debug information, it is
dumping whatever was last on the framebuffer (the plymouth splash
screen) to the screen. This is a mistake that was since found in the
relevant code.

I'm no expert on getting useful kernel panic debug info but I bet if you
check /var/log/messages you might see some clues (usually a good bet
when the system suddenly stops working like that; I'm sorry I didn't
suggest it before.) I'm sure someone else on the list can also help you
trap the kernel panic to figure out what is causing the kernel panic -
that is beyond my skill set.

I don't have the bug number for the plymouth issue handy I'm afraid; but
hopefully there's enough to go on that you or someone else here could
find it. I don't know if there is a workaround or not.

I hope this helps, good luck

~m