Thinkpad A22p/Improper Video on Install

James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> earthlink.net> writes:

> JB wrote:
> > James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> earthlink.net> writes:
> >

> >> STOOPID question time from a long time Linux/UNIX sysadmin:
> >>
> >> How do I select the VESA video driver at the wonderful install screen?
> >>
> >> I don't readily see the ability to do this.  Maybe I'm missing something.
> >>
> >> If it's in the docs, give me a section, I can read it myself and is a 'best
> >>
> > left as an exercise for the student' :)
> >
> >> James McKenzie
> >>

> > Hi,
> > is that what you are asking about ?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs
> > 5 Hardware-related issues.
> > Miscellaneous graphical problems.
> > To use the vesa driver during installation, ...
> >
> Followed the instructions, but the screen is still not correct when
> trying to use the Live CD for FC13.
> I added the xdriver=vesa nomodeset kernel variables to the end of the
> line (which was long enough.)  Should I be placing them somewhere else
> in the line.  The FAQ states to add them.
>
> I'll try booting with Disk 1 and see what happens. (It did work for FC9
> but Disk 2 was corrupt as well as Disk 4.)
>
> James McKenzie

Hi,
I tested it with f12 live-cd.

You will get a boot display like:
  ... going to start in 7 seconds ...
quickly hit any key, and you will get a menu display like
  Boot
  Memory test
hit Tab key to display kernel line
add to the end of kernel line
 xdriver=vesa nomodeset
and hit Enter.

This will boot and set up your desktop.

Open a terminal and input 'su'.

verify that kernel actually took your vesa parameters
# cat /var/log/dmesg |grep -i vesa
Kernel command line: ... xdriver=vesa nomodeset ...

verify that vesa driver is utilized  by Xorg
# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep -i vesa
Kernel command line: ... xdriver=vesa nomodeset ...
... Driver "vesa"
(II) Load Module: "vesa"

You are set.
JB