Blue screen of death

Hi,

As if to say, "F"-you, the screen changed from my normal desktop, with
Firefox, Azureus, a few terminals, and a few VMs running, to a solid
blue screen with just the Fedora squiggly 'F' in the middle of the
screen, and the whole computer locked up.

Completely dead. Catatonic. Unresponsive. Nothing in the logs.

What the hell happened?

This is really aggravating, because it has been one problem after
another, and I'm beginning to rethink my decision on this desktop.

Ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex