Re: Users without GDM Login

Thanks so much Chris. :^)

- Jenni

--- On Mon, 26/7/10, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Users without GDM Login
To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, 26 July, 2010, 8:03

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Jeevani W. <jeevw19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to create a number of internal Linux users for admin purposes.
>
> I do not want these users to appear on the initial console login page after Fedora boots up, as users who can attempt to log in, and I do not want to allow these users to log in directly.
>
> I merely want these users to be accessed via su, like the root user.
>
> How can I configure this please?

 To remove these users from the greeter window, you can edit
/etc/gdm/gdm.schema and find the following section:

    <schema>
      <key>greeter/Exclude</key>
      <signature>s</signature>
      <default>bin,root,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operato
r,nobody,nobody4,noaccess,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap</default>
    </schema>

Simply add the usernames of the people you want to exclude there,
separated by commas.

Alternatively, right under that, there is another section where you
can disable the list entirely:

    <schema>
      <key>greeter/IncludeAll</key>
      <signature>b</signature>
      <default>true</default>
    </schema>

Change the 'true' value to 'false' and any user sitting at the console
will be forced to actually type their username to login.

After making changes to this file, you will need to restart gdm.  You
can do this very easily if logged in remotely:

# init 3
(count to 10)
# init 5

Note that if you keep the list, each new user you add will have to
have their username added to the exclusion list in that file to be
removed from the list you see in the greeter.

Good luck!

--
Chris