Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 13:46 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 07:36 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> > ...So does this also mean you have the same inherent distrust for that
> > private internal cloud? You know the one that sits inside of your house
> > and that you control?
> >
> > The problem here is that you have co-opted the very definition of cloud
> > computing into something that it is not. And then based on that,
> > continue to criticize it. I really think the problem is that you fear a
> > technology that you clearly do not understand.
> >
> > Many people have stated that public cloud has relatively little value
> > for use cases such as yours. We're all OK with that.
> >
> > ...But, with your current arguments, you should also be distrusting that
> > internet service connection you're using to get to this list.
> >
> That is true.  And as far as understanding, you may be right, but I have
> been working in and on computers for about 40 years, and there is not
> much new out there.  I have worked with many, many systems, and I write
> real time processing programs, and interrupt driven code all the time.
>
> Just because you don't like what I say doesn't give you the right to
> disparage me professionally.  I have never said anything disparaging
> about you, nor will I.  I know that you like the cloud technology, and
> you see it as the wave of the future.

I don't believe I written something disparaging about you
professionally. If you feel I have, I apologize. What I believe I have
done is to continue to attack your base arguments because they are
grounded in incorrect information, and the more this has been
challenged, the more dogmatic your arguments have become. I suppose you
would have to define new to understand what you mean by not much new out
there. I see plenty new - perhaps we're still solving the same old
people problems, but the technology tolls we have at our disposal are
certainly constantly new.

I only have about 24 years in this business, but all of it has been in
the infrastructure side of the house. I actually see cloud as _a_ wave
of the future. Not everything is headed there. My employer's journal for
CxO types has an article I just wrote on this, where I detail why I
believe this is true. I'm happy to send you a copy off-line if you like.
It's a good read, and definitely clarifies these points in ways that are
much better than you could do on a list like this.

> Perhaps the public can as well. But the pricing models that are being
> discussed, the actions taken by governments, and the nefarious uses that
> such a public system could offer, demand examination.

Actually, I don't disagree here with respect to public clouds, but they
aren't the only kind of cloud environment out there. And I and others
have pointed out several times that private clouds - not public - are
actually where the energy for this kind of technology is concentrating
right now. And it is because of both costs and the concerns around
trusting 3rd parties. But I've explained that before here, as have
others.

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I do have experiences that lead me to my beliefs,
> and empirical evidence that says it is not all known yet.  Please pursue
> your passion.  Perhaps you can discover some ultimate truth that I do
> not see.  But show me that truth, not disparaging comments.

I and others _did_ show you that truth. The only logical explanations
for your not acknowledging that are either you missed those posts,
didn't understand their content, or ignored them. As I said, I'm happy
to send you a copy of my article, and you can also review earlier posts
to learn more.