Re: Anything for home user and not the technical one??

On Friday, July 23, 2010 16:44:56 Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> In all honesty, for normal desktop use, the only "hoop" Parshwa should
> need to jump through is to setup RPM Fusion on the system[1].

And install flash plugin in firefox. And skype. And googleearth. And maybe kmod-
nvidia, if he needs it. And wine, if he wants to play some windows games. And
VirtualBox, if he really needs true windows environment for something.

And all multimedia stuff --- mplayer, VLC, xine, various good/bad/ugly codecs,
mp3 support, etc., from the two rpmfusion repos.

> Then,
> when his wife or kids visit some media serving website, or try to
> listen to their iTunes music in Rhythmbox, the system will prompt them
> to click 'OK" a bunch of times to automatically install the correct
> codec support.

And to provide root password a bunch of times. :-)

But seriously, did I miss something here? Since when is that automatic? I
thought Fedora was forbidden to even point a link to a website with non-
free/patent-encumbered things, let alone automatically prompt you to install
them from rpmfusion?! Did something change in that respect lately?

The only thing that came even remotely close to what you describe was that
Fluendo thing, which offered the user to *buy* codecs and licences for various
multimedia things.

Really, in order to provide equivalent functionality of a typical Windows
desktop, Fedora requires more than one hoop to jump through. A novice user is
maybe better off installing Omega instead, if he doesn't want to bother with
this stuff.

Best, :-)
Marko