Re: [F13] thunderbird-3.1.1-1 won't restart

Joachim Backes wrote:

> having big problems with the new thunderbird-3.1.1-1: After exiting a
> running thunderbird-3.1.1-1 and starting it again, nothing happens: No
> error message or something similar. Logging out or restart does not
> help. I had to downgrade thunderbird for getting it to run again.

check your profile directory, /home/username/.thunderbird/*.default/,
for a file 'lock'.

if there delete it and try again.

if not there, from a terminal, enter

  thunderbird

press <enter>, watch for error message.

if none and does not open, enter

  thunderbird -safe-mode

to see if it will start. this is a 'safe mode' which disables extensions.

watch for error message.

if starts:

1] in menu bar;

  tools > error console > all

look at errors for help. if any, post back.

2] if it starts, in menu bar, select 'tools > add-ons' to open
'add-on' window.

highlight 'extensions', click 'find updates' button at bottom, apply any
updates.

3] if it starts, then on menu bar, select 'tools > add-ons' to open
'add-on' window.

disable _all_ add-on, close thunderbird, try to start from desktop.

if thunderbird starts, open 'add-on window' again, enable 1/2 of your
add-ons, close window, close thunderbird.

try to start from desktop. if starts, open add-on window again, enable
1/2 remaining extensions, close 'add-on window', close thunderbird,
try to open from desktop again.

repeat until thunderbird will not start from desktop.

when thunderbird does not start, open in 'safe mode' from terminal, as
above, open 'add-on' window, disable last 1/2 that you enabled, close
window, close thunderbird.

open thunderbird from desktop, open 'add-on' window, enable 1 add-ons in
failed group, close 'add-on' window, close thunderbird.

open from desktop and repeat above until you find bad/incompatible add-on.

leave this add-on disabled until updated version is available.

also, see;

  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions

in addition, you can enter your add-on names at;

  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

to check to see if they are compatible for your version.

questions?

--

peace out.

tc,hago.