Re: Bottom posting in Gmail [Was:Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...]

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 17:51 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> No, actually, those using Thunderbird (esp those who think bottom
> posting is a pain) should install the Quote Collapse add-on.  If you
> need to read the collapsed quote, just click on the +.

There is no substitute for posting a clearly coherent, and easy to read,
message, in the first place.  I've been doing this for over a decade.
It's not hard to do.  But reading some posters' atrocious pig's
breakfast of messages is just too much to have to put up with.

You can argue for top posting, as the easiest for the lazy typist, but
it doesn't help the reader, as you still need to scroll through the
whole thing, because someone may comment on other parts of the message,
at those other parts.  Never mind having to scroll up and down to find
the context of the reply.

You can argue for bottom posting, but you usually have to scroll past
lots of needlessly quoted text, as few people trim the quotes.  And
those that don't tend to be the ones that include 300 lines of quotes.

The only things that gets in the way of interspersed comments, are
people who don't snip out what's not needed, and people don't leave gaps
between comments and replies so that you can actually find their repies.
I've seen plenty where the replies are embedded in the quotes, with
quote prefixes before them.  Where the only clue that it's not a quote,
is because I've looked at the actual previous message.

You can argue for muted quotes, but that just means I'm having to hit
unmute and mute buttons to read messages.  Because, nine times out of
ten, the reply makes no sense without being able to read some of what
it's replying to.  But there's far too much crap on the screen to leave
it there.

Some people are just useless at posting, and the fault's all theirs, not
the reader.  There's a reason usenet style was so commonly used, and
that's because it's the easiest to manage.  And there's a reason why
it's so heavily promoted, because *everything* else is such a pain.

The biggest sin is not editing out the quoted text that's not needed,
not the posting style.  Use the damn delete key, or we will use ours.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.