Re: Converting DVD copy to AVI

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:03 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
> OGMRip does work great but it takes forever.
> I have a Phenom 2 965 @ 3.6 and so far from an iso image to avi has
> taken 3.5 hours and is still not completed.

All the work is being done by mencode. Do a "pgrep -fl mencode" while
ogmrip is running to see the large number of options it applies. Many of
these can be tuned (e.g. number of passes in video conversion) and would
make a difference in speed. In fact you could just capture the mencode
command line as a Shell script and play with it that way.

I converted a 4GB VOB set to 1.2GB avi. It did take a while but not as
much as 3.5 hours on my Core 2 Dual @ 3.2 (and I still used 2 passes).

> I was reading about handbrake and apparently if I can change the codec
> from ffmpeg to another codec (not sure what one yet) it will handle
> avi files as output.

ffmpeg can certainly produce avi, so maybe you don't need to change it.
I did try handbrake a while back but it didn't really do what I wanted
at the time (converting flv to avi).

poc