Converting DVD copy to AVI

I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
(e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.

poc