Re: no sound on F11, F12 and now F13 but sound on Omega 12 live??? wtf??

On 07/05/2010 09:26 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> Can you post output of lspci?
>
> sure, here:
>
> 00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
> 00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a3)
> 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
> 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
> 00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
> 00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
> 00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
> 00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
> 00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
> 00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
> 00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
> 00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
> 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
> 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
> 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
> 01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI]
> 05:00.0 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express - PCI/PCI-X
> Bridge (rev 07)
> 05:00.1 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express - PCI/PCI-X
> Bridge (rev 07)
> 08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740]
> 08:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
>
> and for what it's worth I'm curious why my video card shows up as an
> audio device.

I don't know if it will be useful, but can you do, as root,
lspci -vvv -s 8:00.1
I assume there will be a kernel driver in use.

Sound has always confused me.  Let me see if I can get this right this
time.  Every time I try to explain sound, someone (correctly!) dings me.

Pulse Audio provides a framework through which applications should do
audio (microphone/speakers/etc).  Pulse Audio speaks to Alsa.

Alsa speaks to the driver that actually drives the audio hardware.
Then there is the driver, itself, which drives the hardware.

Pulse Audio is supposed to provide a consistent interface to audio.

Before we had Pulse Audio, applications would speak with alsa
(or with ESD which also was supposed to provide a consistent interface
to audio).  I guess an application could also talk to the driver itself,
but I would hope this to be rare.

Now, I believe, we have the following:
Pulse Audio provides the consistent interface.
Pulse Audio uses Alsa.
Alsa talks to the hardware driver.

Applications, that think they are talking directly to Alsa can actually
be talking to Pulse Audio through a plugin,
rpm -q -i alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Applications that think they are talking directly to Esound can actually
be talking to Pulse Audio through a plugin,
rpm -q -i pulseaudio-esound-compat

I believe, Applications should, over time, be changed to talk to Pulse
Audio.

Why this background?  We need to follow the audio path.

We need to see what Pulse Audio thinks.

We need to see what Alsa thinks.

We need to see if a driver has the hardware.

Pulse Audio can mute the audio.
Alsa should be "controlled" by Pulse Audio, but is still best to make
sure Alsa isn't muting the audio.
I assume we have a kernel driver for the audio hardware.

Pulse Audio might have sound muted.
>From xterm (gnome-terminal) please run pavucontrol,
or from the menu, Applications,
Sound & Video, please start Pulse Volume Control,
Please check the "Output Devices" tab to see if you have volume and make
sure it is not muted.
pavucontrol is provided by rpm -q -i pavucontrol,
yum install pavucontrol if necessary.
You may have more than one Port...I have two ports.
I have "Analog Output" and I have "Analog Headphones".
Please make sure you have volume and it is not muted on all ports.
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what ports do you have?

If Pulse Audio is happy, please see what Alsa thinks.
rpm -q -i alsa-utils  (yum install alsa-utils if necessary)

>From xterm (gnome-terminal) please run: alsamixer
provided by alsa-utils

Controls for alsamixer can be found in the upper right corner.
"F1" for help, "F3" for Playback, "F4" for Capture, Esc for exit.

I'd be curious to know what alsamixer shows you.
For me, I only have a "[Playback]" Master for audio output and a
"[Capture]" Capture for audio input.  I believe this is my case because
I am going through Pulse Audio and having applications that think they
are talking to Alsa really go through the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.

Please make sure the "[Playback]" is not muted and has a reasonable volume.

Some people, I believe, do not use Pulse Audio, and do not have the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.  Their applications go directly to Alsa.
alsamixer will show a number of things for "[Playback]".
Other people, with greater knowledge, can counsel whether or not this is
a good idea.  I believe, personally, it is wiser to use Pulse Audio.

In Summary, what to check:
1) Do we have a kernel driver (lspci -vvv ...)
2) what does Pulse Audio think the volume is and is it muted?
3) what does Alsa think the volume is and is it muted?

There is one other question, I didn't think to ask.
What application are you trying to use for the audio and what is its
audio configuration?  I.e., does it think it is talking to Pulse Audio
or Alsa or ESD?
I assume no application makes any audio sound so this question may not
be important.